The single step approach as documented by IBM (Larry Bolhuis described the
steps) works fine, but the customer should have some REALLY good reasons to
justify going that route over the recommended two step approach.  The
reasons given below in Charles' post should illustrate the wisdom of
keeping it simple!

I used the single step approach once at a hospital I worked at, but had the
luxury of working with a good C.E. who had helped to develop the basic
process and also having full hardware side by side.  I was able to take
sufficient time to work out the kinks by working through the process
several times before doing a final migration.  It worked fine, but there
were definitely some lessons learned in the trial runs!

Keep it simple and by the IBM recommendation if possible would be my
advice.

             "Wilt, Charles"
             <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion"
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             07/20/2005 08:55                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: 820 to 520 Upgrade

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Antonio,

I highly recommend upgrading to v5r3 on the 820 first.

1) IBM recommends it.
2) I think it's easier
3) First Rule of Change management - change one thing at a time.

Regarding #3, lets say you migrate from the 820 @ v5r2 to the 520 @ v5r3
and you have a problem with some production application.  What caused the
problem?  The new hardware or the new OS?

Whereas, if you upgrade the 820 to v5r3 and run w/o problem for a few
weeks.  The migrate to the 520 and have a problem, you at least know that
the problem must be related to the new hardware.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343