For those of us with no mass storage device, optical or tape, what are
our options to manage a SAVE 23?  I've got a model 270; how much are
optical drives for this box?  Are they hard to install for an end user
with no discernable hardware skills (I barely managed to put together a
PC for my wife, a job which only required putting memory on the mother
board and connecting the disk drive)?  Can I "borrow" the tape drive
from a newer machine?

As far as newer machines, it certainly looks like the 520 is the best
bang for the buck.  The $10K 500 CPW machine or the $21K 1000 CPW
machine both have a ton of power for an awfully low sticker price.  The
810s with zero interactive are pretty close, though.  Thoughts?  How do
you find out the software capabilities based on the feature number?

Joe

> From: Larry Bolhuis
>
> Yep you are correct. Stick in the SLIC CD (I_BASE_01) and IPL D Mode,
> Manual.  Take optino 2 to initialize the system and remove all data.
> When the install of SLIC is finished take the option to install the
> operating system. When that is done and you get your first OS/400
menu,
> STOP.  If you do GO LICPGM and take option 10 you will see that you
are
> in the correct state at that time.  DO NOT load any OS/400 bits or
PTFs