Arco:
I am not recommending any devices, but a quick Google search found these
devices:

http://www.smartdevicesdirect.com/index.php?cPath=21_30

They all claim to be rugged.  Most support GPRS data (3G would be better,
but for your app GPRS would be fine).  Looks like they all run WINCE.  You
should be able to set up a VPN server at your location and use a VPN client
to connect to your network.  Then use something like the Mochasoft TN5250
emulator for WinCE and make the connection to your AS400.  You may want to
simplify the screens since the screen size is limited, but you could easily
use your existing application.

The first one in this list also looked like it supported a integrated bar
code reader which could read bar codes directly into your AS400 application
(5250 screens).

Of course if you need a consultant with a lot of experience in this area to
help......  I'm your guy.  :)

cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
600 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 400
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(770) 425-8391 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight