> First things first...   the numbers in CHGTCPDMN are not part of your
> iSeries DNS server.  They're part of the DNS resolver.

I don't get it, but I won't be reading the book Rob suggested until
tomorrow.

> When a program wants to know the IP address for a hostname,
> or the hostname for an IP address, it calls a routine from
> the DNS resolver. It says "hey, I need the IP address for
> www.creativelyspeaking.com".  The resolver looks at the
> values listed under CHGTCPDMN to find out which DNS server to
> ask for those addresses.  It then asks that DNS server, which
> does all of the gruntwork.
>
> The DNS server on the iSeries won't be a part of that lookup
> unless CHGTCPDMN is pointing at it.
>
> It sounds to me like your PCs are set up to use your iSeries
> as their DNS server.  But, ironically, the iSeries itself
> uses the ISPs DNS servers.

Are you saying that CHGTCPDMN has to have 192.168.0.1 as well as 4.2.2.1 and
4.2.2.2 in the INTNETADR parm?  That makes no sense to me.

> What you probably want to do is set up the ISP's DNS servers
> as FORWARDERS.  This involves telling the iSeries DNS server
> that if it can't find an IP address, it should ask the ISPs
> DNS server.  That'll give you the best performance, since
> lots of users use your ISPs server and therefore it has a
> good cache of addresses, and doesn't have to go all the way
> back to the root servers for every query.
>
> Once you have that set up, you'll want to use CHGTCPDMN so
> that the iSeries uses it's own DNS server for lookups -- that
> way it'll be in the same boat as the PCs that use it :)

Nothing makes me feel as stupid, I swear, as DNS.  What you're saying makes
sense, but I have no idea how to do it.

I'm going home and have a beer.