What do you do if you have some jobs that are active, but the user has either
gone away from their terminal or is just not keying anything?
It seems that your routine to test last I/O would kill them also..

James H H Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In case anybody's interested (a remote possibility, no
doubt):

Here's how I ended up dealing with hung devices and jobs
on that public application: A sentinel system, mainly in
CL. It goes in back doors, goes out windows (but not
WinDoze), climbs up chimneys, and slides down waste line
vent stacks, but it gets the job done.

The heart of the sentinel is the "sweep" program:

First, get a list of the devices in the series that's
dedicated to the application, using a DSPOBJD into an
outfile.

Then go through the records of the outfile, doing a
RTVCFGSTS on each device. If the status is anything less
than 60 (60=active), vary it off, then backon. That clears
the ones hung in "signon display." But what about the ones
hung in the application?

I added code to the application, that changes the *DEVD's
object text to the SAA timestamp of its most recent
legitimate I/O operation. Returning to the "sweep"
program, if the status is 60 or higher, it gets the
timestamp from the *DEVD's object text, and passes it to a
simple RPG program that checks it against the current
time: if it's more than 5 minutes old, it returns "KILL";
otherwise, it returns "KEEP". If the sweep program gets a
"KILL" on an active device, it then does an ENDJOB on it
(no need to worry about duplicate job names, since the
account is rigged to never produce a spooled joblog), and
leaves it for the next sweep to reset the device.

Then, an outer "sentinel" program, in a batch job, runs
the "sweep" program, followed by a DLYJOB of 10 minutes
(600 seconds), then repeats the process, ad infinitum.
Thus, even an intentional denial-of-service attack on the
application (and it appears that deliberate abuse is the
only way to actually leave large numbers of devices in a
"hung" state) would not cause any device to remain "hung"
for more than 20 minutes, tops.

--
JHHL