Bob,

You're on the right track, a trigger program is a good way to do this.  In fact
it's the only way to get what you want in near real time.

The other option would be to have a background program that processes journal
entries.

However, the trigger idea may not be as "simple" as it seems.

The catch is that since trigger programs could be called for every row in a
table and control is not returned to the program that caused the trigger to be
fired until the trigger program is finished, trigger programs could have
significant performance implications.

In particular, if you're thinking about doing a dynamic CALL to an external
program you could be asking for trouble.

In addition, is the file with the trigger processed under commitment control?

Lastly, for an SQL trigger that calls an external RPG program, you need to look
at the following SQL statements:

CREATE TRIGGER

CREATE PROCEDURE (External).

If you can have your external code as a procedure in a service program, instead
of CREATE PROCEDURE, you'll want CREATE FUNCTION (External Scalar).

You're going to need:
iSeries DB2 UDB for iSeries SQL Reference manual
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/db2/rbafzmst.pdf

also Redbook this will help:
Stored Procedures, Triggers and User Defined Functions on DB2 Universal
Database for iSeries
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246503.html?Open

Have Fun!

Post back with any questions.