The where clause you have in the original wasn't for the UPDATE statement; it
doesn't effect _which_ rows in imimsg get updated.

Take a look at these:

--Original
UPDATE IMIMSG
  SET IMIMSG.IMACRC = <..do something to figure out what value to use from
DMITMMST..>

--New
UPDATE IMIMSG
  SET IMIMSG.IMACRC = <..do something to figure out what value to use from
DMITMMST..>
  where imimsg.imitem in <..do something to figure out how to get a list of
items to update..>

Now can you see that your update didn't have a where clause originally?

For the <..do somthing..> bits of code, you end up using some subselects.  The
WHERE clauses here affect the respective SELECT, not the original UPDATE.

<..do something to figure out what value to use from DMITMMST..>
 (SELECT DMITMMST.ACREC
   FROM DMITMMST
   WHERE DMITMMST.ITNBR = IMIMSG.IMITEM
  )

<..figure out out to get a list of items to update..>
 (select imimsg.imitem
   from imimsg, dmitmmst
   where imimsg.imitem = dmitmmst.itnbr
     and imimsg.imacrc <> dmitmmst.acrec