> date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:52:36 -0500
> from: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> subject: RE: Java vs .NET was: RPGIII compiler vs Visual Basic
>
> Remember, Joel, these are .NET coders.  If you can't drag and drop it,
> it's too hard. <g>
>
> Joe

Yowza!  Since I'm as much a DOTNET programmer these days as anything
else, I'm glad I wore my thick-skin brand body armor today! Hee Hee!
<vbg>

And for anyone still reading this, it's not too hard.  It's not any
harder to use a different database in .Net than it is to use SqlServer.
That is, in fact, the whole point of ADO.NET.  The only *real*
difference from a pure coding point of view is that the SqlServer
provider classes are built-in to the DOTNET framework.  For that matter,
so are the ODBC provider, the OLEDB provider and the Oracle provider!
Installing and using others is hardly the labor-intensive process or
problem that has been exhibited here.

And I'm not advocating one approach over the other: like I've said
recently, I've become completely agnostic.  Right now I'm coding in
C#.Net because I have a bunch of projects requiring thick-client
interfaces that will run on PCs only.  This morning I wrote an RPG
program in *gasp* SEU because I wanted to generate a simple report from
a native file.  Later this afternoon, I've got to update one of my
websites running on LAMP.  I'm just not into the holy war part of this
any more: when I get into threads like this, I'm just trying to share
information.

Joel Cochran
http://www.rpgnext.com