Eric,

I'm lucky in that respect.  Our IT Director is very supportive.  In
fact, he gave myself and our senior programmer an official "goal" of
implementing ILE in our shop this year.

The way he titled the goal was kind of funny, though.
To quote:

"Target: Implement OOP in our AS400 Programming Environment.
Results to be achieved: Develop class library of reusable modules,
Document, educate, and implement use of class library as a programming
standard."

He's been working with the web guys a lot lately I guess.  Funny, he was
a link/cobol programmer in his day.

Since none of us have really seen it done properly, I have a feeling
we'll be leaping forward with what little we know and probably learn a
lot of things the hard way.  It seems like there's a huge potential here
for making a big mess. ;->

Greg