Hi Greg,

Nice opinion piece, fit for the old IMHO page.

I think that if you conducted a poll, you'd find that many of the
participants on this list are "homegrown" programmers, trained on the job,
with limited "professional development" opportunities.  I suppose that's how
Midrange-L came into my life, looking for information and sample code for
self-education, and what I found was a community of like minded individuals
who actually shared their ideas and "tricks" with those of us who whished to
learn.

One thing about learning new stuff, is that once you see how to do it, you
want to use it in your day to day work, but all too often it is not allowed.
I bet you know what the number one excuse from management is....  "Nobody
else knows this stuff.  Nobody else wants to learn it.  Now go and forget
all this crazy new stuff....."  To be fair, sometimes the adoption of new
technology is not a good idea, and management is right in their objection.
But to hobble a programmer's professional development on the grounds that
"ILE is new" (what is it now, 11 years old?) is just sickening.  What to
do....

Offer to help develop the staff and show them the ropes.  Try to get them
excited...  Yeah, well, that cuts into valuable production time and nobody
can afford to lose ground in the daily struggle to abate the looming piles
of change requests that dominate the desk.. All in all, it's frustrating to
be told at every turn that your co-workers don't care to learn what you
know, so stop using that stuff.

ILE really boils down to a shift into modular coding, and as such it
involves retraining at the most basic level of analysis.  Functional
decomposition is a foreign concept to most procedural coders, but it's
useful when breaking a complex transaction into its fundamental elements.
Fun stuff, to be sure, and not too easy to do in a "learn on your own time"
work environment.

Anyway, fwiw, that's why I think you see some flames around here sometimes.
The movers in this community are trying to push forward, with considerable
resistance from the very people they are trying to empower.  Frustration
abounds.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)