Ok folks!  Here's the good word.  Since this is a sandbox, I figured no
guts, no glory.  Plus, a replacement controller with a battery on the
secondary market is only a couple hundred bucks.  So I took the case
apart, removed disk controller, removed on-board battery.  Took battery
to local Wal-Mart, matched connector to a Sanyo model GES-PCF01M
battery.  3.6V just like the other one.  (BUT BE CAREFUL!  There's one
which is the same connector and color, just polarity is reversed)  This
new battery I picked up is exactly the same size, same connector (even
same markings on back of connector), same EVERYTHING - only difference
is the case on this one is green, the case on the old one is yellow.
Looks like the "new technology" battery I picked up is NiMH, the old one
NiCad.

Checked voltage of existing battery and new - corresponds.  Installed
and IPLed to DST, performance degraded condition gone.  Now - can't say
if a flag gets set with removal of the old battery (like I could have
just unplugged and replugged it and the system would have known no
better) and I also can't say if the system gives any sort of charge to
the new battery.  So - someone remind me in a month or so, I'll take it
apart again and check the voltage to see if it held.

Other than that bit of concern, though - the system's running great!  No
SRC, no problem records - fantastic!

$19.95 and a bit of time - problem solved.  Once I do a voltage check in
a couple months, we can add this to the archives as a tasty nugget o'
info.

Justin C. Haase - iSeries System Administrator
IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5
Kingland Systems Corporation
email - justin.haase@xxxxxxxxxxxx