authors, I think RPG developers can be assured that
their investment will be protected, probably for many
years after .Net dies, not just because of the
historical longevity and stability of the language,
but because it's so intrinsic to the native virtual
machine.  Predicting the death of RPG is essentially
the same as predicting the death the iSeries native
virtual machine.

Steve keeps repeating how IBM has moved on to Java,
Linux, and PASE, but somehow fails to see the
connection between those new environments and the
native virtual machine.  Consider that the native
virtual machine will still function without the new
environments, but none of the new environments will
function without the native virtual machine.

Based on articles at MSDN, it appears to me that .Net
as we know it today, probably won't survive the
transition to Microsoft's 64 bit operating system.
That's should be no shock.  This is a pattern repeated
many times during Microsoft's history.

I have nearly as much experience developing
applications under MS technologies as I do under
OS/400, and my primary reason for developing under
OS/400 is to protect my investment.  I got tired of
Microsoft pulling the rug from under me, so to speak.

I use ILE languages every day, but have the admit that
the component oriented patterns I use now, could be
implemented similarly in RPG III, and would perform
fine.  There's no reason to follow "monolithic" design
patterns in RPG III.  In contrast, most of the code I
wrote in VB 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 won't run under
.Net today.

Next to protecting my investment, my primary reason
for developing under OS/400 is because it offers the
best platform for deploying Web interfaces.  It
appears to me that the transition to Web user
interfaces in the near future, will dwarf, in
comparison, earlier transitions to GUI components
[VBX, OCX, ActiveX, VCX, Swing, etc.], while the
return to server-centric computing will dwarf, in
comparison, earlier transitions to client-server
models.

This is a great platform!

Nathan Andelin