> From: Dan Riehl
>
> To say that we as iSeries techies should not embrace technologies like
> .NET is akin to saying we should not embrace Excel and Word and
Internet
> Exploder ... simply because it's from Bill's minions. They are tools
> that we can use to improve our IT response to our users and customers.

Dan, read every single one of my posts and please, please, please
identify even a SINGLE ONE where I say that we shouldn't integrate with
Microsoft.  I've never said that; that's Trevor's doublespeak talking.
I've only said, over and over, that you should not use Windows as a
server to replace the iSeries.

At the same time, in my opinion, if you want to integrate with Microsoft
applications you don't need the Midrange Alliance Program to "help" you
do it.  I'd instead talk to iSeries programmers who have done it; people
on this list, people who write articles for publications like MC Press,
people who attend iSeries conferences.  Because the iSeries is the open
platform.

It's Microsoft that doesn't integrate with the iSeries.  If these guys
were serious, they'd provide DRDA access to SQL Server or a native
OS/400 ODBC driver.  BE VERY CLEAR ABOUT THIS.  The MAP is devoted to
removing all iSeries boxes from the face of the earth.  And Microsoft is
devoted to doing the same to Java.

> The tour, from what I have heard is NOT intended to say MS is better,
> and to MOVE away from iSeries... (In fact MS has been told
specifically
> what they can and cannot say! It's not a Free-for-all)

Listen to yourself!  In order to run a conference, they have to make
sure that the primary sponsor doesn't say bad things about the iSeries!
And who is "they" anyway, Dan?  Microsoft is SPONSORING the tour.  This
doesn't strike you as a raging conflict of interest?  Do you honestly
think there won't be Microsoft partners there pitching migration off the
iSeries?

> The tour touches on HOW to integrate with what everyone else in the
> world is doing..... If the iSeries community is not willing to
integrate
> with technologies like .NET.... the iSeries will not last long enough
> for even half of us to retire without learning anything new. <grin>

"Everyone else in the world"?  No, that would be Microsoft programmers,
which is hardly everyone else in the world.  And once again, please do
NOT stick Trevor's words in my mouth: I believe you should be able to
integrate to Microsoft as necessary.  Just not by replacing RPG with
RPG.NET, or by making the iSeries a big SQL engine, or by dumping J2EE
for ASP.NET.  I also don't much like distributed databases where part
runs on the iSeries and part runs on something Mickey Mouse like
Microsoft Access.

One the other side of the coin, I believe that if you aren't willing to
embrace the Java platform, then you're severely limiting your options,
and believe me, the Microsoft tour is ALL ABOUT not using Java.

Joe