Tom,

If the problem is performance, and the cost to upgrade
your AS/400 is prohibitive, and you're considering
migrating your database to MS SQL Server, then you
might want to consider eliminating any 5250 CPW
constraints instead.

For example, when you add the 5250 feature to a 6,000
CPW model 520, the base price raises from $66,000 to
$165,000, give or take...

A product like PCS400, which is supported by Joe
Pluta, could convert existing programs to deploy an
HTML interface, and bypass the traditional 5250
interface.

Another option might be to buy or develop an iSeries
based utility for returning SQL result sets to
browsers.

Even a small iSeries can process SQL queries against
tens of millions of records efficiently, unless you're
bumping into a 5250 CPW constraint, or an
application/database design constraint.

On an iSeries, you have a lot of options for
"managing" performance constraints, which simply are
not available under Windows or MS SQL Server.

Nathan Andelin

> > Been a LOT of discussion on this support, or lack
> thereof, lately.
> >
> > You have a few choices:
> > 1 - Spend money for a canned solution
> > 2 - Learn java and use jdbc
> > 3 - Seek alternative solution.
> > 4 - Submit DCR to IBM to get what you are trying
> to work to do so.
> >
> > People happy to take your check:
> > a - IBM for something called websphere integrator.
>  What it has in common
> > with Websphere - who knows.  Marketing ploy I
> suspect.  Don't let it
> > confuse you.
> > b - Search for John Brandt for his solution
> > c - Search for Vern Hamberg and the company he
> works for now.
> > d - Possibly some others.  (Forgive me if I've
> missed you.)
> >
> > The native lack to do what you are trying to do is
> chafing us mightily.
> >
> > Rob Berendt
> > --
> > Group Dekko Services, LLC