> From: Wilt, Charles
>
> However, the fact remains most enterprises out there are currently
> heterogeneous and spread across multiple servers.  It doesn't matter
at
> this point if the heterogeneous nature is due to poor planning, bad
> planning, or no planning.  That is the current state that we have to
deal
> with.

There is still no reason to move the data off of the iSeries.  In fact,
since the iSeries is so open, it's the BEST place to consolidate your
data.  You only need to move the multi-machine queries off the iSeries,
at least until you rationalize your server environment.  And accessing a
Windows-based query from the iSeries is a piece of cake.

At the same time, this idea of multiple databases intrigues me.  Are the
multiple platforms in question being simultaneously updated with mission
critical information?  If so, how do you do backups and disaster
recovery?  Do you have hotsite servers of all your different machines?

Because if it's not mission critical data, there are any of a number of
ways to resolve the situation, depending on the actual need.  This can
be as simple as using JDBC to access the external data to creating a
mirror database on the iSeries that's refreshed as needed.

All of that being said, I still don't know why the iSeries isn't
multi-DRDA machine capable.  That I think you need to take up with
someone from IBM.  Since I've never needed the capability, I'm the wrong
person to ask.

Joe