Joe,

You're preaching to the choir here.

However, the fact remains most enterprises out there are currently
heterogeneous and spread across multiple servers.  It doesn't matter at this
point if the heterogeneous nature is due to poor planning, bad planning, or no
planning.  That is the current state that we have to deal with.

We can work on improving the situation.  But management looks at the iSeries
and sees a box that can't talk to anybody...including another iSeries!  Whereas
Oracle and SQL Server can talk to anybody.

Sure it wouldn't matter if you could do a one-time mass consolidation of
everything onto the iSeries.  But just how often does that happen?  On the
other hand, if you want to incrementally consolidate; then you have to choose a
platform other than the iSeries in order to keep talking (directly) to the rest
of your environment.

The fact that the iSeries can't even do a join between another iSeries really
bothers me.  I think it shows a very real limitation of DB2 for iSeries when
compared to any other RDBMS including DB2 LUW!  Why doesn't my preferred
platform support the "higher level of DRDA" that DB2 LUW does?

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121