No it won't.  Even though the DDM file is local SQL can still smell that
it is a DDM file and won't like it.  However if you use the SQL command to
CREATE ALIAS because you don't like to do an OVRDBF because some silly
fool likes multiple member files; the result of the CREATE ALIAS is a DDM
file.  And SQL will use this DDM file happily.  Go figure.

Example:
STRSQL
CREATE ALIAS ROB/DELETEME FOR DHTHEIF/IIM (IIM)
SELECT * FROM ROB/DELETEME
... lots of data ...
F3
DSPFD FILE(ROB/DELETEME)
File Description Header
  File  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILE       DELETEME
  Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            ROB
  Type of file  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            Device
  Device type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            DDM
  Auxiliary storage pool ID . . . . . . . . . :            00001
DDM File Attributes
  File level identifier . . . . . . . . . . . :            1050606093600
  Creation date . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            06/06/05
  Remote file . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : RMTFILE    'DHTHEIF/IIM

  Remote location                               RMTLOCNAME
  Name or address . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            '*LOCAL'

STRSQL
DROP ALIAS ROB/DELETEME

And, if SNA dies after V5R4 as announced, what happens to the CREATE ALIAS
statement?