(Snippets of posts are below my remarks, combination of two reactions from (two) threads)

Actually, Joe,  I want to establish a database exchange from the AS/400 to another database on another (non-AS/400) platform in a similar manner as an ODBC-connection from a PC to the AS/400. Just two platforms, two databases (in principle), two parties involved.

IBM has provided an ODBC-driver with Client Access, it does not have to provide DRDA drivers, as others have also pointed this out. But, on the other hand, all those database vendors think their database is the center of the Universe, and are aware of the fact, that today many companies are using different platforms/databases and that data have to be joined. Thus it is optional for those vendors to do so.

ODBC is client sided, but Joe implies that with JDBC (which I think is also client sided) it can be done. As if JDBC is the "latest cure" that can connect to any database on any platform, even though the way to connect to those databases is not know. But that means, that JDBC is running as a server, as well.

Reading the reactions on this topic (and the question has been asked before, and I am not the only one facing this obstacle) software from a third party seems to be required. Unless an unexpected break through, of course.

And it would have been much easier, if ODBC, DRDA and JDBC could be bidirectional, so connect to ODBC using DRDA, or with DRDA connecting to another database using ODBC/JDBC and their defined DataSources. Wishfull thinking, alas.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.