I direct your attention to this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnuda/h
tml/dataint.asp

In this page MS comments:

"Implemented using the open protocol of the Distributed Relational
Database Architecture (DRDA), the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2
supports access to remote DB2 data using industry-standard Structured
Query Language (SQL) statements."

Therefore, not only does MS understand DRDA (which they themselves
characterize as an open protocol), they use it to get to DB2 and they
understand the relationship between DRDA requests and SQL requests.  The
lack of DRDA access to SQL Server is thus purely an MS limitation.

Joe