From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Keith Carpenter
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 8:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Problems with AS/400 250

If you pull the cover off the 250, you should be able to hear the drives
spin up at the system's initial power up IPL.  Each disk is powered up
sequentially.  The drives I've seen with stiction problems (IBM, but
non-400) would make several attempts to spin up before failing.  If you
can get close enough to the drive, you may be able to hear it trying to
start up.

If you want to use your spare 620 drives, you should check if the
specific DASD model(s) are compatible with the 250 (they probably are).
  If they are of a smaller capacity, you might also need to add more of
them to have enough space to load your savsys (ie. 4x4Gb could replace
2x8Gb)

Keith