It might help, if the Mbytes reported was the size, of the mbytes actually
written to tape.  Meaning, that if I pass X bytes to it with compression
turned on, it reports that it compressed it down to Y bytes and reported
that.  At least that way it would be somewhat standard.  And I wouldn't
have one tape holding half again as much as another.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
05/16/2005 11:24 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Predicting when we'll need an extra tape.

If you are compressing, there's no way to predict exactly what the
resulting size will be without running through the compression first -
Catch-22!  But if you have enough history, you might be able to use some
heuristic process to learn from the past. It'd still be a guess along the
lines of predicting the stock market, I think.

list