From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 3:23 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Emulator Softwares (was Time Share)

;-)  The terms you're using don't seem to go together. Emulation
basically has nothing to do with ILE. Are you talking emulation or
development environments?

If emulation, one very popular one is MochaSoft, a shareware emulator. I
don't use it much, I prefer PC5250, either the Personal Communications
one or the iSeries-modified of that that is in iSeries Access. I really
leverage the macro stuff, and the others don't have as much in that
area. There are also various Java-based emulators, as well as WRQ from
Hummingbird (?), and Jerry (?) will probably mention Synapse. Take a
look in the archives for options - search on "emulator". You could
probably use any of these against a time-share system like NetShare400.

For iSeries development you already know what you have there, I think.
If you have the emulator, you have SEU, of course. If you're talking
Java, you can always get Eclipse (www.eclipse.org), but it does not have
anything specific for the iSeries. And for Websphere Application Server
support you really need the WSSD or WSSD layer on top of Eclipse. To get
iSeries stuff you need WDSC. Is your employer willing to give you a copy
of WDSC to install? If so, you can always use it against any iSeries you
can reach.

There are always text editors, such as TextPad, and there are even clip
libraries that someone has written for TextPad that give you RPG format
rulers. It can be used if you are doing Java, since that source is in
text files. It even has syntax coloration, etc., but JSPs, etc., are
going to be tough sledding unless you use a real development
environment, I think.

Hope this answers anything you asked.  ;-)
Vern

> Thanks Vern.
>
> I do have another question. I have been working all along on Client
> Access and would like to try others. What would be the best one to
> use/learn? I am interested in ILE, Java and WebSphere. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Sudha
>
> Sudha Ramanujan