<Since this is not specifically RPG-related, I have posted my reply to MIDRANGE-L>

Brian Piotrowski" wrote:

Does anyone have any data or performance metrics
(or better yet, links!) they could share to give me an idea
on how a Java app would perform on an AS/400
vs. a C++ app. Vs. an RPG app?

The reason management has been asking is due to the
legacy programs that run on our machine.
We are currently running a 720 series w/2GB main
storage and 175GB raid 5 array with 90% of the programs
written in-house (and before my time).
At any given time, when I look at the performance
of our AS/400 (through system status), and it always
seems to be above 65%
(or it's often at ++++ when I look at it).

Management wonders if these programs were rewritten
in C++ or Java if it would have a positive effect on the server?

Brian - Surely you're kidding... someone's been reading magazines again, haven't they?

Java ???
NO way...your performance would be three times worse.

C++ ???
Don't think so. I think you'll find that C++ is not the optimal language for AS/400 - iSeries business programming. I can count on 1 finger the iSeries C++ programmers that I know.

BUY a BIGGER MACHINE, or upgrade the one you have and do some performance tuning...

<lol>
Steve