From: Scott Klement [mailto:midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:18 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Code Page

> What is the Code Page?

This is something of a simplification, but it's an easy way to think of
it:

We all know what ASCII and EBCDIC are, right?  But, when you think about

it, there are many diferent versions of ASCII, and many different
versions
of EBCDIC.  Different operating systems, for example, have different
characters that they can display, so ASCII on a Unix machine might not
be
the same as ASCII on a Windows machine, and EBCDIC on a mainframe might
not be the same as EBCDIC on the iSeries.  Sure, if they're both EBCDIC,

they'll be close -- but not identical.

Then, different cultures need different characters as well. Think about
the cyrillic character set used in Russia and other countries in that
area. Obviously there are characters used there that don't exist in the
United States.

So, there are MANY versions of ASCII and many versions of EBCDIC. How do

we keep them all straight?  We assign a number of each variant.
That number is called the "code page".

There are some more complex character sets that don't fit into a single
codepage and need more than one. Mostly Asian ones and Unicode fall into

this category.

> If I edit httpd.conf in wrklnk, it has different code page than if I
do
> on notepad. I then have to change the code page to view in wrklnk. Is
> this specific to tools?  Is there a language specific code page also?

Why do you say that it has a different code page?  Typically, Windows
isn't smart enough to think of each file as having a separate code page.

There's one code page for the whole system, that's it. If there's
another
code page handled, it's handled in the individual application. OS/400 is

superior to Windows in that way (among many other ways)

So anyway...  What's probably happening is that OS/400 is viewing the
file
according to the code page that you've stamped it with, and Windows is
just deciding that it's codepage 1252, no matter what you do, and
viewing
it as if it's that codepage.

Or, at least, I'm assuming that it's 1252, since I know you're in the
USA,
and that's the codepage that Windows typically uses here.

You could try converting httpd.conf to be codepage 1252 (the CPY CL
command can do that, though you'll have to output it to a differnt
filename, delete the original, and rename it back to the original
name...)
Once it's 1252, Windows and EDTF should work the same way.

Another alternative is to configure NetServer to automatically translate

the data to 1252 when accessed, and translate it back when you're done.
However, be warned that this'll screw up any binary objects if you use
Windows networking to copy them.

list