Hi, Dave - back again!

So you say a flat file is equivalent to first normal form. That is not what
I've seen elsewhere. Webopedia
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/F/flat_file_database.html has this definition:

A relatively simple database system in which each database is contained in a
single table. In contrast, relational database systems can use multiple tables
to store information, and each table can have a different record format.

Very basic, I know. Elsewhere I saw a discussion on this, where an example of a
flat file looked like what you see if you read through a multiple-format
logical file - some fields (or extent of bytes) were the same but the rest was
a coin toss. That is more my idea of a flat file - some identifying set of
bytes tells you what kind of information is in the record, but otherwise it is
a free-for-all.

(This is even done in stuff from IBM. Have you looked at the output file for
the database monitor - ironically, it is a monitor for SQL only! There is a
record ID, and different columns have differeing meanings, dependent on this
record ID. This is NOT my idea of a good time. There is also a join field
explicitly called, to help in self joins, IIRC. Now there are Redbooks or
Redpapers that give examples of extracting information from this mess, and
Centerfield Technology, my former employer, has products that convert this data
into some level of normalization.)

Are you saying that you canNOT create a first normal form in Oracle? But you
can on the iSeries? That a "true" relational database will force third or
higher normal form?

I must be missing something here - it seems we are not talking about exactly
the same thing - maybe you are talking physical structure (as Date speaks of)
versus the application level. I don't know yet.

Thanks
Vern

> Charles & Rob,

---snip---