The problem with most prompters, STRSQL included, is that they are limited
to mostly the basic statements.  Often I can put a perfectly good sql
statement in STRSQL and it will run, but it will NOT let me prompt it.

Someone mentioned that you can do an after the fact cleanup of your
statement with prettysql or some such thing.

Haven't played with that part of Softlanding's Turnover to see how they
handle this.

Many years ago, IBM added a CHGPF command to OS/400.  This takes your
modified DDS and changes the physical file.  Prior to that you did some
manual copying of files when you added a field, etc to a  physical file.
With DDL there is no equivalent of CHGPF to do this in one source member.
You would do a ALTER TABLE with one member for the modifications and
modify the existing member and reserve that for drastic recreates.
Although I am willing to wager that most DDL shops would modify the file
on the fly and not store a modification member.  Just do the ALTER TABLE
on the fly, and modify the existing member and reserve that for drastic
recreates.

(See, I mostly stayed out of the DDS vs DDL debate, and stuck to his
question.  http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/462.html  )

Now, the "crude" part because of a lack of a SEU capability...
Does anyone know of a good SQL prompter that could be used as an eclipse
plug in to WDSC?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Keith Carpenter <carpcon@xxxxxxx>
03/08/2005 11:11 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Logical File or OPNQRYF or any other        way     ?-Legacy
iSeriesFlatFiles

DDS remains popular because its source file based.  This makes for
reliable recreation and works with most change mgmt systems.

The equivalent for SQL is to script (batch) the commands. I've used
RUNSQLSTM for this, but it's a bit crude (no SEU prompting).  I'd be
interested in what others are doing.

RDBMS design tools will generate SQL scripts for database creation.
Anyone using such software and which ones ?

Keith

Joe Pluta wrote:

> The truth of the matter is that, like so many things on the iSeries, you
> can do it however you prefer.  You can create a fully blown,
> relationally defined database using nothing but SQL statements.  Or, you
> can create a complete ISAM database using nothing but DDS.  Or you can
> do a sort of hybrid, using DDS and some CL commands like ADDPFCST.
list