> From: Reeve
>
> If you're a non-i5 vendor looking to move
> into this environment, what path do you take?  And what path do
> smallers ISV's take to move away from 5250?

Both groups use the same path.  JSP Model II with an RPG back end.  It
takes one day to set up the software and write enough of an
infrastructure to support a development environment that is nearly as
fast as 5250 with zero interactive requirements.  All testing can be
done on your laptop with WDSC and once the code is tested, it can be
deployed directly to the IFS.

> The hardware, operating system, database, and programming languages
> are robust.  What we're missing is WORKSTN-style support for the
> browser environment and the development tools to make it go.

How hard is this?

SendAndReceive(myBuffer);

SendAndReceive simply sends the data in myBuffer to a data queue.  The
data queue is read by the servlet, which presents the data to the user.
The user enters data, which is then passed back via data queue and
placed in myBuffer.

It's as easy as EXFMT.  I can show you how to do it in a day.  Security
and project management another day.  Advanced topics like JavaScript and
CSS, session restart and error handling, one more day.  That's it.
That's all it takes.

The JSP that displays the data can be as simple or as complex as you
want, much like a display file DDS.

I'm telling you, it's EASY.  VERY easy.  EASY, EASY, EASY.

EASY!

Joe

P.S. Did I mention that it's easy?