On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Jones, John (US) wrote:

> I dislike the constant renaming of hardware and now the software
> renaming as much as the next person, but I accept that IBM has their
> reasons and that there is a 'legacy' connotation associated with the
> OS/400 name.  If I am to play up the platform at my company, I should
> also abandon terminology that brings up the 'legacy' vision.  (Funny how
> that is since Windows is an older platform than OS/400.)

It's interesting that IBM is also refering to the AS/400(insert other
names here) as "Legacy" in their technical conference presentations.

As for saying IBM has a 'reason' for all the frequent rebranding of the
same architecture, I'd sure as heck love to know what it is.  The problem
isn't in the NAME of AS/400 or OS/400...it's in how IBM totally FAILED to
keep the brand in front of people and totally failed at keeping the brand
relevant as as viable solution for business in both the IT business realm
but most importantly in the schools/universities.

Look at other brands:  Solaris, WINDOWS....the NAME HAS NOT CHANGED...the
MARKETING and market persona has kept up with the times and has kept it as
a forefront viable option for school and business, so I reject that
someone HAD to change the name...  IF IBM had been doing due diligence on
the marketing side, we wouldn't have to explain to so many people what a
i5...iSeries....really is!

And, yes, I agree with the posted comments about wondering if there is a
real difference between os/400 and i5/os...other than the name...  If
there is a list, it's REALLY short...

AS/400 on a blade server (actually OS/400 on blade) was more or less
announced back at a pSeries tech conf in Dallas a few years ago...the same
week that COMMON was in Denver...still have my notes on that session here
somewhere....

Don in DC