midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   8. Re: Hmmmm.....$1 Billion (Booth Martin) (Shields, Ken)
>
>        I find it interesting, the different trade offs that each operating
> system has to make to achieve specific
>        results.
>        The complexity and myriad of multi-threading functions in MS, probably
> meant the designers gave up
>        some other types of functionality.
>        Our system, lacking multi-threading in the os, makes up for it a a
> great many other areas.
>
>        Perhaps one day we may actually find an os  with the best of both
> systems. Probably not in my lifetime...LOL
>
>as well, this lack of multi threading capability on IBM's part, may be the
>single largest reason preventing the port of OS400
>to the Desktop/Laptop
>
>Just my .02 cents.

I have no reason to think it _can't_ be done, but I'm trying to picture the
kinds of useful multi-threaded apps that would be reached by telnetting to a
Windows system. Or an app that communicates only within the CMD.EXE window.

As it is, I can have a 5250 app that communicates through multiple iSeries
Access session windows on my PC. It's interesting to ACQUIRE the other devices,
but not too challenging. And DSPFs that signal via data queues have been around
for ages though pretty much nobody cares about them.

I suppose virtual terminal APIs could allow some interesting stuff to be done
if there's a restriction due to physical terminals rather than emulation.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.