If  by "workstation" you mean a PC (not a twinax display with a printer
port) then you need to create a virtual printer device by configuring a
PC5250 printer display session.  Specify Host Print Transform in
Communication/Configure by using Setup button next to Printer (halfway
down config page) and checking the box that says "Transform print data to
ASCII on iSeries" then selecting the printer in the drop box.  On V4R5 you
are not going to find a *LEXMARKE232 so try *LEXOPTRA.

I see the E232 is not included here:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/7c4c0f5a4d52e3c4862569b4005d198a/023b5ee0895389a7862569c10078d695
which usually means it's one of the cheapo "Windows only" printers and you
can only configure it as a PC5250 printer session (no printer device can
be created if you attach it to a print server).

And V4R5 is not even included on this chart:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/a944982b85205c738625669700615ca3

...Neil

"Elmut Kaboom" <dringpiece@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2005/03/04 08:53

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
AFPDS and local printer

Hi!

A Lexmark E232 is connected to the parallel port of my workstation. I want

to create a device printer pointing on this printer, and I want to print
AFPDS documents directly on this printer (documents with barcodes and
other
things related to AFPDS).

When I try CRTDEVPRT, I get a CPD27C8 message, asking me to fill the PORT
and the SWTSET parameters.

So, my first question: is it possible to create an AFPDS device printer
that
is linked to a local printer connected directly on a workstation?

If it is possible to create this printer on the system, what values must I

provide to the PORT and SWTSET to set up my printer correctly?

Can you give me an example of a working CRTDEVPRT command to create my
device printer, considering that our system is running OS/400 V4R5?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Charles St-Laurent