I've never been clear on IBM's thinking on the way they've charged for
interactive capacity. I mean, I've felt I've understood why there's a
difference in cost based on capacity; but I would've presented it in the
opposite direction.

Back when it started, I seem to recall that IBM wanted to increase the number
of AS/400s being used more purely as servers. No serious interactive is needed
on a "server", so they cut the cost way down.

But they 'cut' the cost by setting the base price as being the server price and
presented interactive capacity as being an add-on cost (a _big_ add-on cost).

I'd love to know why they didn't leave the basic cost as being the full price
and offer 'discounts' if you reduced interactive. Exact same price for the same
capacities -- but when viewed as an add-on, you have to feel you're paying
more; when viewed as a discount, there's a chance you could feel you were
paying less by intelligent shopping.

As someone who's personally bought three AS/400s over the years -- two model
400s, one 170 -- I've had a minor interest in the pricing. I've also spec'd and
priced systems for various employers, so I have an additional basic feeling of
higher-cost systems.

I might've felt better presenting proposals that said "we could save a bunch if
we limited interactive" rather than "the cost jumped from the base because we
included some interactive".

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta