Having used a PC based SCSI utility to explore some AS400 peripherals, I've found a few (CD & Tape) that contain "AIX" strings rather the expected 400 specific information usually seen on DASD. It would be interesting to know if the i5 and p5 now share the same DASD (with the same microcode).

9 track reel tapes have both begin and end markers (foil tape). This allows the tapes of various lengths to work. I think 600ft was typically the smallest.

Keith

Neil Palmer/DPS wrote:
IF you managed to get it to work, will it not write a full tape if you insert the correct media anyway?
I know years ago with 1/2" reel the standard tape length was 2400'. There were 3600' reels available, but the 9347 would stop writing to the tape shortly after 2400' of tape had passed, so I suppose it's possible a drive may only write what it thinks is the capacity of the tape. Either way, there's nothing you can do about it.

...Neil

Philipp Rusch <philipp.rusch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2005/03/01 12:13

cc

Subject
Re: Tape unit in iSeries model 170

Cool idea, but it's not possible to put in some non-IBM, non-iSeries parts.
Even harddisks are only recognised by the hardware service manager, when
they have a special AS/400-iSeries microcode (=firmware).

HTH,
Philipp

Coen Wessels schrieb:

Hi all,

I'm a newbe in the iSeries world, and need some help. In our 170 model machine, we've changed the tape unit with a dds-4 model coming from a HP machine. The unit is seen by the AS/400 as a 6382, which would be able to

read/write on a maximum of 4Gb cartridges. How can I force the AS/400 to recognize the unit as a real DDS-4, capcable of Read/Wrinting 30/60Gb cartridges ?

We're at V5.1.

Any help would be appreciated,
Coen Wessels
Unicible