I agree this is a tough situation.  But at the same time, there are tons
of good RPG programmers out there, they just tend to not work for entry
position money, and I think that's your problem.  You want RPG
programmers at entry-level prices, and those are few and far between.

But there's a reason for that.  When you hire an RPG programmer, you
typically get someone who is not only conversant in a very productive
language, but they also tend to understand business.  Sure, you can hire
someone from college for a relatively low salary, but you get what you
pay for.

Which leads to a related point: there's a whole generation of
"programmers" being turned out of school these days that really doesn't
know anything about programming.  They can push buttons and run wizards,
but they couldn't tell you why (NOT (A AND B)) is the same as (NOT A OR
NOT B).

So what to do?  Well, one thing you can do is to leverage your assets.
Start working towards a deployment model that can make use of both
old-style RPG programmers and entry-level programmers using things like
Java.  What you want is a tiered architecture in which the Java guys
build the UI and the RPG guys build servers to encapsulate the business
logic.  Designed correctly, such an architecture lets you take advantage
of both sides to do lots of work.

Joe