Hi

It's helpful to know where you have looked already for this information. E.g., the RPG manuals have enough information on /COPY to lead one to conclude that information about /COPY does not get to the final program object. This is just like programming with #include in C or C++. The only reliable place to find this information is in the actual source member. If programs still have debug information (which none in production should), it is possible that the source is in the program object. There is a way to see this, but it is, again, not reliable.

As for files, let me first suggest a way to find a set of commands on the 400. This is to use the command menus. The GO command will display the menu you specify. For commands, there are a whole bunch of menus. They all start with CMD and continue with a verb (such as DSP for display) or a subject (such as
PGM for programs). It is really worth the effort for someone new to the system to dig around these a bit, esp. for whatever you are working on at the moment. You can see what the components of commands are typically used in the CL Programming manual, I think, Appendix D, if I recall.

For files used by a program (CLs, by the way, are programs, too), the DSPPGMREF command is the ticket. Unfortunately, it might not tell you what really happens at runtime, because you can override a file so that a different file is used than the one on which the program is based. You should look at the help for this command (make F1 your very good friend), where it will tell what information is returned for the various kinds of programs. E.g., C/C++ programs have no information about file usage, because they don't have native IO as a built-in part of their structure the way RPG & COBOL do.

So the best way is to go to the source, again. If you have it, that is. And, as a new person, analyzing source could be a fruitless exercise - there are things that you would not know. A good cross-reference tool is almost required for this, and, as I suggested above, even those cannot figure what will happen at runtime.

But, all that said, take from this the ways to learn about commands, etc., on the 400. GO CMD (I think) will get you to a menu of the CMDxxx menus. If you are interested in an object type, such as files, GO CMDFIL will get you going. Learn to love F4, F1, and F11 when you put a command on the command line and want to know more about it.

HTH
Vern