Gord,

You are correct.  V5R3 is the end of the line for all models 7xx and 170.
Why?  Two reasons:

1).   IBM made the mistake of making every System/38,  and every CISC
AS/400 run every release ever.  This was a problem, because when we got to
V3R2 of OS/400, the old "B" models didn't have the horsepower to run the
newly added function adequately. (IBM even made a commercial, although it
never aired, about the B30 that I located in a closet that ran for six
years with no backup, no nothing.  With the system value QPWRRSTIPL set to
'1', it even survived a power failure, although the A/C never restarted.
If any one wants the .RM of the commercial, send me a private note.  It's
about a 4MB attachment)

Two sub-reasons here;
a).   The older, less powerful CPU's just don't cut it today.
b).   The older, slower, I/O, also just doesn't cut it.

2).   IBM is a business, and they need to make money.  (Not a bad thing for
a company to do, Sam wants to keep his job; look what happened to Carly,
and HP's an iSeries customer [my software customer!] from the COMPAQ
acquisition!)  IBM made the mistake of making the AS/400-iSeries-i5 (and
it's rumored that they have trademarks on i6, i7, i8 and i9, although I
have not confirmed this personally) so reliable that it never breaks (for
all practical purposes), so unlike in a Windoze environment where stuff
breaks constantly, customers don't feel the need to execute the SPENDMONEY
command (*BADCMD).  The bad logic solution would be for IBM to write a
BLUESCREENOFDEATH command, but that's not going to happen.

The system (whatever the @#$% you want to call it) continues to be the best
computing platform ever, it's just that no one at IBM wants this to get
out.  Keep not telling people, and maybe it will go away.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Gord Hutchinson
             <gordm1@tstoverla
             nd.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Highest OS Level for Hardware
             02/16/2005 02:54
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I am pretty sure that I saw an IBM web page which said a 720 would not run
on any version of os400 after v5r3.  It also listed other hardware and how
high they could go.

I cannot find my bookmark for the page nor can I find it in a search on the
IBM sites or the midrange archives.

Has anyone else seen such a page?  Or am I smoking the cheap drugs again?

Thanks,

Gord

--
Gord Hutchinson