Dave,

There are three options:

1) Using JBDC in a Java app on the iSeries to read/write directly to Oracle.
iSeries Network had a recent article about doing this with SQL server, it was
no big deal to modify it to goto Oracle also/instead.  RPG apps wrote requests
to a DTAQ, a never ending Java program would pick up the request, send it to
the external DB and load the result back to another DTAQ.

2) Oracle's Access Manager for AS-400.  This is an OS/400 software application
that translates OS/400 DRDA requests into Oracle's network protocol.  You use
SQL on the 400 as if it was any other remote DRDA (aka DB2 UDB) database.

3) Third party middleware.  Such as RJS's product or IBM's.  These products sit
on a PC (usually) and translate request from the 400 into ODBC, OLEDB, or even
proprietary protocol requests to Oracle.

Note that #2 is packaged with the Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2/400 and
Oracle Transparent Gateway for DRDA products which allow the Oracle database to
access DB2/400 as if it was another Oracle DB.  But the base(?) list cost is
$35K.  The TG for DB2/400 is actually an AS/400 application as is the Access
Manager for AS-400 product.  The TG for DRDA sits on a PC and will access any
DRDA DB.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America