I've stayed out of this conversation to this point because it was
already spinning off into the murky areas of religion and ethics, one of
which is tangentially applicable to this list and the other which is
pretty off-topic.  But as it winds down, I'll toss in my two cents.

First, as to your question, the sad truth is that there are many people
who will only do something if it benefits them.  This is the "Me"
generation, the entitlement babies epitomized by Gordon Gekko's "Greed
is Good!" in the movie Wall Street.  However, there are also lots and
lots of people who still do what is right just because it is right.  I
sense you are trying to do the latter.

If that is indeed the case, I would counsel only that you carefully
review your motivations.  If your motivations are truly only for the
good of the company, then you should be able to couch your comments in
ways that are not directly harmful or spiteful to any one individual.
Say that duplicate master files is a bad idea, and why, not that Mike
Smith allows too many copies of the item master.  Make sure you offer
reasons as to why you feel a particular practice is bad, and offer an
alternative solution.

Carefully go over your issues.  If they point to no individual and
instead address systemic problems, and are presented constructively with
alternate options, then I don't believe you are acting out of spite.
And if they ask you to name names, point out that you're being fired
yourself, and you have no desire to cause the same for someone else.

Finally, recognize that even with the best of intentions, your actions
may not be met with happiness and joy -- they may still be taken
negatively.  But if you truly feel that for the sake of your
conscienceyou must speak up, then I recommend you do as I've outlined,
and then walk away clear of mind and heart.

And just so you know, I don't think you'll feel and better or worse one
way or the other.  I applaud your effort to do the right thing, but I
don't think you're ethically obligated either way.  This is purely your
call, and I wish you luck and support you whichever direction you
choose.

Joe