Just ran across this:

"The prototype chip discussed Monday is comprised of one 64-bit Power PC
processor core and eight separate processing cores that the companies call
"synergistic processing elements," or SPEs."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/02/07/HNninecorecell_1.html

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343