Okay, I getcha.

But at the same time, there's a good chance that the iSeries admin
DOESN'T need a lot of that stuff.  Web page design?  Webfacing?  That's
no admin job.  DDM and SNA are pretty specialized these days, and Domino
is certainly not a given.  If you're an HA shop, sure you're going to
need some more expertise, but make sure you jack up the number of Unix
admins as well; true HA isn't just adding another server.

I guess some network skills are needed, though I've seen plenty of
iSeries admins who simply type in what they're told in CFGTCP.  And the
whole websphere/Apache thing is not necessarily a requirement, although
I guess one of your Unix guys will probably know that, considering you
have six of them <grin>.

As to the PTF stuff, that was usually a combined responsibility of a
programmer and the admin guy, just to make sure everything got done
correctly.

Anyway, not trying to disparage your hard work on this post.  Just
thought that $90K for iSeries admin was a pretty good job, and I
wondered how much I'd have to know to apply for the position :).

Joe

> From: Jones, John (US)
>
> I had to jack it up that high to get the Unix person a living wage.
^_^

> But if you consider the skillsets invilved, it is not inconceivable
for
> an admin to pull that kind of cash.  An admin may need to know all or
> most of of the following: operations, BRMS, basic Domino admin,
> websphere app server & Apache config/troubleshooting, DDM, SNA,
network
> fundamentals, basic web page design, webfacing, CL programming, HA
tools
> & implementation, PC Supp^H^H^H^H^H^H^H iSeries Access, comm support
> (V.24, .35, X.25), workload management, project management for related
> tasks like upgrade planning, vendor & product review, etc.  I'm sure
I'm
> forgetting a lot of things.  It ain't just loading tapes and typing
'G'.