The following summarizes the cases when to use DES7 or SHA1 Encryption:

If the remote system is running OS/400, you should set this parameter based
on the release level of the remote system and the system value QPWDLVL on
the     remote system.

*       If OS/400 on the remote system is at release level V4R5 or earlier,
specify *DES7.

*       If OS/400 on the remote system is at release level V5R1 or later,
and QPWDLVL has a value of '0' or '1', specify *DES7.

*       If OS/400 on the remote system is at release level V5R1 or later and
QPWDLVL has a value of '2' or '3', specify *SHA1.

If the encryption algorithm used does not match what is expected by the
remote system, the automatic sign-on will fail and the user is presented
with a sign-on display on the target system, or a failure message on the
source system, depending on the configuration of the target system.

The Question is: How the AS/400 client can differentiate between
V5R1/Pre-V5R1 Releases  Levels '0' or '1'/'2' or '3' in the protocol (TCP/IP
Telnet Connection)?

Assume i started a display or database session  to a Pre-V5R1 AS/400 and
QPWDLVL '1' , then how can i know that i have to use here DES7 instead on
the SHA1 encryption in the protocol?

N.Khoury