Joel--

NOTE: The following comments are off the top of my head. Using these ideas is at your own risk; test all ideas before using; do not assume I'm correct!

I didn't have quite as big an opportunity as you have, but I did do a merge of our menu application libraries. We had separate menu libraries with data files unique to each of our locations.

We had menu options in multiple libraries that did totally different things, etc. etc.

The first step was to reconcile the differences. We shifted menu options so that the same number had the same function at all locations; other options unique to a location were shifted to numbers that didn't overlap the numbers for other locations.

In your case, this would be the realignment of customer and vendor numbers so the same customer has the same number at all locations. This will require changing open orders, purchase orders, etc. to use the new customer/vendor numbers.

For the master files (customer, vendor, part master, etc. etc.) you'll need a program to merge the data for these files: summing the total $ of orders outstanding, credit balances, inventory totals, etc. etc.

You will only need programs to merge 2 libraries together: Duplicate one of your libraries and designate it as the MASTER. Then run your program to merge the MASTER with all of the remaining separate libraries.

That takes care of the master files.

For detail files you'll have to decide if you need to track which location creates things like open orders, purchase orders, etc.

If not, you'll "only" have to merge the files. Order/PO numbers will have to be adjusted so they are unique.

If you need to track orders by location, you'll probably need to do some program changing to allow for a company/location code.

Or cheat: merge the master files, but leave the order/PO files in location-specific libraries. Your libray list will pick a location for the orders, and use the Master library for the Master files. This cheating is probably only going to last a short time, until the fun of transferring data between the location libraries or summarizing all locations for reporting catches up with you! (:

With all of the changes to numbers, be sure to keep a cross reference file of old#/new#, or you'll never be able to track the changes! You'll need to let all customers/vendors know that they've got new numbers, too!

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx