"The backup device performance differs from the device specifications"?
What's that mean?

Would CPY OBJ('/qsys.lib/mylib.lib/mysavf.file')
TODIR('/qopt/myvolid/mydir/myfile.savf') be a better performer since it's
not using SAVE commands?

Or does it mean that if you yank it out of the iSeries and remove the part
that does the verify and stick it in a PC you'd get better performance?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/01/2005 08:42 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Using DVD-RAM drive

Found the following in the v5r2 Performance Capabilities Reference
(SC41-0607-08):

-Backup Rates-
DVD-RAM      .75 MB/s   Write
             2.8 MB/s   Read

Which comes out to the 45 MB/min I saw.

Da**, that is slow.  There is a note attached to the above number: "The
iSeries uses the write/verify function of the backup device to assure the
data integrity, so the backup device performance differs from the device
specifications."  The use of the write/verify was noted in other
documentation I had seen.  But the Performance Reference is the only place
I've found that shows just how much it slows it down.

The v5r3 Performance Ref has the same numbers.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121