> From: Walden H. Leverich

Walden, I'll let you have your fun, but there a couple of areas where
you simply cross the line.  And of course, it's then MY job to slip into
my spandex with the big letter "A"--oops, little letter "i"--on the
front, and address your brazen foolishness!  (Then again, it may be a
bit cheeky for a fat guy in spandex to be talking about brazen
foolishness...)

> John mentioned the "732 reasons not to use .NET" but Rob had a valid
> counter, isn't this the same as "integrity ptfs"? Beyond that, if you
> want to count apples and apples, don't forget to count WebSphere, Java
> and Apache issues in that mix, because you need all that to cover the
> .NET universe.

I just updated my machine last week.  Looking at it now, there are about
a dozen "Windows Security Updates" that say that not installing this
patch will allow a malicious user to completely take over my machine.

There is NOTHING like that on ANY IBM bug I have ever heard, with the
possible exception of the passwords being stored in the clear in
temporary storage.  So, one bug versus dozens or more a month - no,
there is no similarity.

> How many know
> about a "small problem" where you can crash and entire high-end
iSeries
> by doing a System Request 2 during a query? We're not taking about an
> old bug, we're talking about V4R4 to V5R3 problem that isn't PTFd yet.

Never had it happen.  Haven't been able to do it here, Walden.  I get
the idea that this problem might be apocryphal.  But even if it isn't,
it requires physical access to the 5250 terminal.  You can't even
recreate it using a web interface.

Joe