I recommend getting a package for this - it CAN be done in-house, but there are
a few gotchas that the vendors have solved. I used to work for Centerfield
Technology - their CD-ROM Studio was the first (I think) CD premastering
product out there. It uses tape for the kind of LODRUN thing we are discussing.
It also has a proprietary method for using SAVFs instead of tape and still have
LODRUNable CDs. It also has an advanced edition with spanning capability that I
wrote.  ;-)

Having said that, if you are on V5R3, you can create a virtual optical drive
and create a *NEW image entry in an image catalog by setting the FROMFILE
parameter to *NEW. This is a WRITABLE drive. You can make it from 48-16000 meg
in size, with special values for 650 MB CDs, 2600 MB DVDs, and 4700 MB DVDs.
What you are writing to is essentially an ISO-compatible optical image that
will be in the IFS - you should probably specify the name in the TOFILE
parameter, rather than have one *GEN'd for you. You can copy it down to a PC
and burn it from hard drive. You can even create multiple image entries in a
catalog, LODIMGCLG to the virtual drive, and it will span the images, just like
good old tape. I have not tried restoring from this yet, to see whether it will
automatically advance to the next volume in a set, but maybe.

And you do not need to use the premastering APIs.

HTH
Vern