Rick,

Thanks for the confirmation of the save-while-active.  I wasn't sure
because it seems that we've had an issue or two in the past about restoring
somebody's mail database from the previous night and had to go the the
tapes from the night before that.  I don't recall why but it got me
wondering if it had been a case of the file not getting saved.

It takes 7 hours to save just Domino and we're filling up 10 tapes on our
3570 tape drive.  We've got a new drive on order but it isn't here yet.
The machine is a 270 with 113GB of disk.  We're getting things ready to do
a V5R3 upgrade on it in January.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      rick baird

                      <rick.baird@xxxxxxxx        To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      m>
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                      Sent by:                    cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      midrange-l-bounces@m        Subject:  Re: Understanding
our BRMS Domino backup
                      idrange.com

                      12/23/2004 11:56 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midrange

                      .com>

Dave,

SAVDOMBRM does a save-while-active.  The way I understand it, it saves
all documents in the folder, and any that are active, will save a
'changed since save' copy of it.   I've never had to restore from
this, but It's supposed to work fine.

Does it take 7 hours to save domino?  or the entire system?

we just did an upgrade to v5r3 last weekend, and this is what we did:

4pm  - regular BRMS user library and IFS save (while active)
6pm  -  ended domino servers, brought system to restricted state,
saved *SYS, *IBM and SAVDOMBRM all servers.
7 or 7:30pm  - started upgrade.

the only reason we did the SAVDOMBRM in restricted state is so that it
would finish faster.  we had scheduled the downtime, and wanted to get
it over sooner than later.

hope this helps,

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:32:20 -0500, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this is more of a BRMS question than Domino so I'm posting it
> here...
>
> Everything I know about BRMS I've learned by poking around in it.  We
have
> a nightly BRMS backup on our Domino server that was set up long ago by a
> guy at our parent company.  I'm assuming that it's only backing up our
> /Notes folder in the IFS but wanted to know for sure what it was doing.
>
> The exit command is:
> QNOTES/SAVDOMBRM SERVER('NISCO_TPK_MAIL01') CTLGRP(QLTSSVR)
>
> Since this corresponds to the folder /Notes/NISCO_TPK_MAIL01 I would
guess
> that folder is what is being saved to tape and nothing else.
>
> I ask because we want to do a semi-full save.  It takes over 7 hours for
> our nightly save and we can't take the system down for that long to do a
GO