Dear Vikas ...                                                      +> vendor
response

Think of the IFS like the public library downtown

   If you've got a public library card, you have the same right as any other
   cardholder to visit the library building and use the resources in that
   building. In like manner, if you have access to the corporate network,
   your right to enter the iSeries' "Integrated File System" is the same
   as any other employee on the corporate network.

   The Integrated File System holds directories which have been made
   available to the network through a process called "File Shares." When
   your box arrived from IBM, the authority settings for the File Shares
   were wide open. Therefore, if these settings have never been scaled
   back to much more modest levels, then anyone with access to the
   corporate network would automatically have powerful/unguarded
   access to any IFS directory that File Shares have opened to the network.

   The objective is to make the File Share authorities very modest so that
   exposure of IFS directories to the entire network is no longer viewed
   as a vulnerability.

   Here's more information about identifying all File Shares, including the
   default File Shares that were delivered with the box and how to access
   the File Shares through iSeries Navigator.
         http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/BOH/source/1.html

If you would like to arrange a free security assessment for your
system, including this IFS topic, please contact me off-line.

Warm regards and Merry Christmas,
Milt Habeck

North America: (888) 874-8008
International: (262) 681-3151