Mark:

Sorry for late response... got a couple days off. First thing I missed until
reading your latest was "...it has NEVER worked this way before". Getting to
the point:

And it isn't any different in V5R3, AFAIK.

That is, if you're seeing a difference, there seems to be something wrong on
your system. I see no difference between V5R1 and V5R3 on the systems available
to me today. I also see no PTFs that seem to cover this problem when I search
with "sav", "archive", "netsvr" and similar search items.

*IF* there are no clearly specific PTFs, then I'd start looking at general IFS
and perhaps NetServer PTFs. It may be that some IFS PTF has fixed attribute
handling because it fixed something else that's required for attributes to work
correctly. We might have PTFs that you don't, or you might have a later PTF
that broke something.

I looked at your question originally from the wrong direction. I got the
mistaken impression that you were saying V5R3 handled it wrong, but it handles
it correctly from my viewpoint. But you were instead saying that your system
handles it wrong and that's apparently true.

If I go into my Win2K PC and change the PC archive bit, I can see it change
through the green-screen on V5R3 from Yes to No or the other way if I change it
back. And if I run CHGATR through the green-screen on V5R3, it changes on my PC
if I view the properties.

Also, the *SYSARCHIVE bit is not available through /QNTC since it's an OS/400
IFS attribute, therefore it defaults to No I suppose. And if I run a
green-screen CPY command to copy out of /QNTC into my /home directory, the bit
is then shown as Yes on the new file. Exactly as on older releases.

The archive bit does override SAV. That is, telling your system to SAV a
directory doesn't result in a saved file if the *SYSARCHIVE bit is No, AFAIK.
But the bit shouldn't be No by default on the new file after a CPY.

This does indeed seem to be a bug on your system. Others might want to check
their systems as well.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta