I believe you will find that i5 DB2 has all you will need (and maybe
more) wrapped tightly into the OS.  There are very few things you need
to do to maintain your db, for it is virtually maintenance free.

The larger question might be what types of applications you will be
using - will you be porting zOS applications to iseries?  If so, in
what language(s)?  or will you be purchasing new native iseries
applications or developing your own?

The answers to these questions, IMO, are probably your biggest hurdles
for moving to the platform.  I've seen some mainframe software that
was ported to iseries, and it's not pretty.  there are many things
that you HAVE to do in a mainframe environment to access the database
(and visual I/O as well) that are very much different and probably
easier when done on iseries.   your mileage may vary.

One thing is for sure - you've found arguably the best resource
(midrange.com) to point you in the right direction for your endeavour,
and you'll find that everyone here is more than happy to help you in
your decision making.

We just love it when other platforms move to ours.  We LOVE the
iseries, and most of us believe there's no better platform to be
found.

Good luck,

Rick