From: Jerry [mailto:jdraper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 10:54 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Microsoft thwarted again

Call it a case of bad karma. As part of Microsoft's crusade to build support
for its Windows operating system in the enterprise, the software giant
launched an anti-Unix Web site with server partner Unisys last week, as part
of a campaign to portray Unix as a complex operating system that
unnecessarily ties users to expensive hardware.

Such a denigrating tactic would hardly garner much ink on a normal news day,
except for the revelation of the embarrassing fact that the anti-Unix Web
site itself was actually running on Unix software--specifically the Apache
Web server and the FreeBSD operating system, according to a Netcraft query.
The plot grew thicker the next day, when after much negative publicity the
anti-Unix Web site was moved to a Windows 2000 server running Internet
Information Server, Microsoft's Web server, and promptly quit working.

The whole episode was painfully reminiscent of a similar episode that
occurred two years ago, when a highly placed source within IBM leaked to the
press a lurid story about Microsoft and its use of the AS/400 server.

Microsoft was unable to migrate to Windows NT from some 23 AS/400s that ran
an ERP system for the company's manufacturing division, and had to revert
back to the AS/400, which, according to the source, was administered
remotely via an application service provider.

LOL,

Jerry