Dear Viji,

If your IFS is supporting some form of Microsoft
operating system (Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP, Win 2003
Server), you have access to a command line LPR client
to perform the required function.

If your IFS is Win NT enabled, you need to install the
Microsoft TCP/IP Printing Service. If your IFS uses
Win 2000, Win XP, or Win 2003 Server, you need to
perform a slightly different procedure as follows:

Choose to enter the Control Panel and then choose Add
or Remove Programs. Next click on the Add/Remove
Windows Components button and then scroll down to the
entry Other Network File and Print Services. Choose to
add the Print Services for Unix option.

This feature is most frequently known for installing
the Windows LPD service for receiving incoming LPR
files from other hosts. It happens that this service
also installs an LPR client as well. The client can be
called from a command line in the Command Prompt
dialog  box, which I still think of as an MS-DOS
console window.

The lpr command syntax is as follows:

lpr -S<ip address of target> -P<print queue where file
is to be received by the remote host> filename.ext

If the Unix Box IP address was 10.10.5.100, the queue
on the Unix Box to receive the file was named viji
(queue names are case sensitive so be careful), and
the file was named health.prn; the command syntax
would be as follows:

lpr -S10.10.5.100 -Pviji health.prn

The command requires the pressing of the <enter> key
to execute when used interactively. Also the -S and -P
flags are case sensitive and must be capitalized.

If the IFS can "see" the IP Address of the Unix Box,
you could use the command line lpr to send the file to
the Unix box directly.

If the IFS is blocked from knowing about the Unix Box
IP Address, you could use the command line lpr to send
the file into an OS/400 OUTQ on the IBM host for
delivery to the Unix Box. OS/400 LPD receives incoming
LPR files as *USERASCII so their format will not be
changed as they pass through the IBM host.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxx

>Folks:
>
>I have a requirement to create a print file on the
>iseries. This has to be sent to a Unix box using the
>LPR command.  The problem is that the data will
exceed >378 characters and so the spoolfile will not
do.

>The thought is to create a variable record length
file >on the IFS.

>Now, can this file has to be sent to a print queue on
>a Unix box ? - The software is by ExStream.
>
>Is this possible from an AS400 CLP using Qshell
>commands? Is it possible at all?
>
>What with all the enhancements to Linux by IBM, I am
>hoping it is possible.... Has anyone done this
before? >Any help would be appreciated.